Back to Current News
Mayor Announces OneOrlando Fund for Pulse Victims
By Douglas Lorah
By now, everyone in Orlando and probably the entire nation knows about the tragic shooting incident that occurred at Pulse nightclub in Orlando this past weekend. Supportive efforts are being seen from the community in many forms. The city has started a fund to assist as well and has already garnered major corporate backing. Here is the letter from Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer announcing OneOrlando Fund.
I have announced the formation of the OneOrlando Fund. The purpose of the Fund is to provide a way to help respond to the needs of our community, now and in the time to come, after the effects of the Pulse nightclub tragedy.
The distribution of the funds will be administered by the Central Florida Foundation. The Foundation serves as the region’s community foundation and is home to more than 400 charitable funds.
The Fund will support:
• Nonprofits that are supporting the victims and families
• The LGBTQ, Hispanic, faith and other affected communities
• Underlying causes of this tragic event
• Other needs we cannot anticipate until we face them
The OneOrlando Fund is a project of Strengthen Orlando, Inc., a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation created for the purpose of supporting and starting projects to strengthen the Orlando community.
The outpouring of support from our City partners has already begun:
• Walt Disney Company $1,000,000
• In addition, eligible donations from Disney employees will be matched dollar for dollar by Disney Employee Matching Gifts: A Program of The Walt Disney Company Foundation
• Darden Restaurants $500,000
• The Orlando Magic $100,000
• JetBlue $100,000
• Mears $50,000
To contribute to the OneOrlando Fund, please visit OneOrlando.org.
Checks may be made payable to OneOrlando Fund and sent to:
PO Box 4990
Orlando, FL 32802-4990
For information regarding the OneOrlando Fund or to make a wire transfer, please contact email@example.com.